By Harriet Tornguvan
The Defence Headquarters has defended the recent aerial bombardment carried out in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State, insisting that the operation targeted armed bandits and not civilians as alleged in some reports.
According to the military, the Nigerian Army UAV Command conducted coordinated air strikes on several bandit hideouts in Katerma, Bokko, Kusasu and Kuduru villages between late Saturday night and the early hours of Sunday, following credible intelligence on the movement and convergence of armed criminal groups in the area.
In a statement issued by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the Defence Headquarters disclosed that intelligence reports had earlier indicated the gathering of armed bandits in Lukupe Village within Shiroro LGA, prompting immediate military action.
The statement said the aerial interdiction achieved significant success, particularly in Kusasu village where about 70 bandits were reportedly killed.
According to the military, local intelligence sources confirmed that the strikes accurately hit identified terrorist enclaves in Kusasu, Katerma and Bokko, with surviving bandits later seen evacuating bodies of their dead colleagues for burial.
The Defence Headquarters further revealed that over 200 armed men on motorcycles were sighted moving towards Zango after the strikes, while another group from Bokko was allegedly advancing in the same direction, possibly to regroup for attacks on Sarkin Pawa or security formations in Kuchi.
Another armed group was also reportedly observed assembling at Kopa, east of Mongoro, suggesting plans to attack government and security facilities in the area before troops moved swiftly to neutralise the threats.
Responding to allegations that civilians may have been killed during the bombardment, the military dismissed the claims as misleading and unverified.
The Defence Headquarters maintained that all civilian communities within the vicinity had voluntarily relocated to Sarkin Pawa before the operation commenced, thereby reducing the likelihood of civilian presence within the targeted areas.
“It is particularly instructive that, well ahead of the aerial interdiction, all local civilian communities within the general area had, out of an abundance of caution, voluntarily relocated to Sarkin Pawa for their safety,” the statement noted.
The military added that post strike assessments and intelligence gathering confirmed that those affected were hostile armed elements actively planning attacks against civilian communities and security installations.
However, the Defence Headquarters said relevant military formations had been directed to investigate any allegations of civilian casualties arising from the operation.
The Armed Forces of Nigeria reiterated its commitment to protecting innocent citizens and conducting operations in line with established rules of engagement and international laws.
The Defence Headquarters also cautioned against the spread of unverified reports, warning that false narratives could undermine troop morale, embolden criminal groups and erode public confidence in ongoing security operations.
Defence Headquarters also assured Nigerians that the military would continue sustained offensives against bandits, terrorists and other criminal elements threatening national security across the country.